Sunday, December 26, 2010

When Good Girls Go to Bret Michaels

Wild Boar sandwiches. Air brush tattoos. Bret Michaels. What do all these things have in common, you ask? WELL, since you asked.... they all made an appearance during my Labor Day this year.

It all started when my friend Trisha called me up and asked what I thought about Bret Michaels. As it turns out, he was going to make an appearance at the Taste of Colorado that weekend, and she wanted to go. I'm admittedly not much of a 80's Glam Rock fan, but it sounded like it could be pretty funny, so I said I'd be there!

The Taste of Colorado is basically like the State Fair... although I've only been to the Texas State Fair, and NOTHING quite compares to that. But there were games, rides, and lots of good food. Here I am with my newly purchased tickets...
And Trisha in front of a giant banana...
"Prisoner of Love"
There were a LOT of people roaming the streets, but luckily we had Trisha leading the way.
The State Capitol...
The Stunt Jump cracked me up. For a small fee, you can send your kid up a couple stories and have them jump into a giant foam pit. There's no way my overprotective mother would have EVER allowed me to do that! But as she would point out, "You're still alive, aren't you?"
After perusing all of our options, we decided on Wild Boar BBQ sandwiches.
I was a little nervous because I've never had boar before...
... but it was delicious!
After my sandwich, I started looking around at the types of people Bret Michaels attracts and realized I was far too clean-cut. I needed something to help me fit in.

Something like a tattoo.

Luckily for me and my street cred, there was a booth doing airbrush tattoos! I settled on the word "Faith" spread across my wrist.
Here I am super pumped about how it was all coming together.
And the finished product!
NOW I was ready for Bret Michaels.

As we were heading to the stage, we walked past a tent full of steam. I got nervous about how my hair would react to all the moisture, but Trisha and her naturally perfect hair enjoyed themselves.
We finally made our way to the concert area, which happened to be in front of the City & County Building (the same building where I served on a jury and helped convict a man for attempted murder).
As we waited for the concert to start, I was able to do some good people watching. For example, why is this person not wearing shoes???
And I spotted my old office building....
Still loving my tattoo...
... and finally Bret Michaels started!
Considering the only song we knew was "Every Rose Has its Thorns", we were done with Bret Michaels pretty quickly. So we headed over to the DirecTV tent to watch football...
... and take pictures in front of cardboard cutouts.
We then stopped at a tent where you could get free beads, and I made friends with the wheel guy.
After spinning the big wheel a few times, Trisha and I did a little hat shopping.
I never realized how scary Matt is!
The robot?
I wonder who will be at Taste of Colorado next year? Hopefully, it'll be someone REALLY bad ass, so I can justify another tattoo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This just proves what an awesome friend you are to have! Bret Michaels?!?! You really are up for anything :)

I loved the "I was nervous about how my hair would react to all that humidity" comment. Hysterical! And so true - I would have steered clear too. It would be like walking through Houston on steroids.

My mom also would have frowned on the stunt jump and I don't know what it says about me, but I'd probably totally let Jameson do it. Maybe it's because he's so wild.

CCB said...

Wait. Did you really serve on a jury and convict a man of attempted murder? Why is there not a blog entry entitled "Jury Duty" or "CSI: Denver"?

Lindsay said...

Houston on steroids - Ha! And I can completely see Jameson jumping off a 2 story tower into a foam pit... even at 2 years old. That kid is fearless!

YES, I served on a jury 3 years ago, and we convicted a guy for shooting another guy in the face. I can't believe I never told you the story! I missed a whole week of work (during a quarter-end, too!!) and heard some pretty interesting testimonies. I would have blogged about it, but I was a little scared of his family/buddies and didn't want to draw attention to the whole thing... maybe I've read one too many John Grisham novels?

Melissa said...

OMG, i've never heard about you serving on a jury either...that's crazy! i love the tattoo....maybe you should make it permanent!