Saturday, July 13, 2013

Roswell {Road Trip to Texas Part 4}

Back when Jen and I initially planned our road trip, she informed me that we would be passing through Roswell - coincidentally - during the weekend of the annual UFO Festival.  

I. Could. Not. Believe. Our. Luck!!!  

It's not that I'm an alien aficionado (or even a believer, really), but I knew we would be in for some VERY interesting encounters at an event like that!

Upon arrival, we were greeted by this friendly, three fingered alien.


Jen - "Put three fingers up."
Me - "What?!" {turning around} "Ohhhhh."
The festival had about everything you'd expect at a usual carnival... games, rides, food...

.... and guys in foil sombreros?!
Mmm, twisted taters.
Beam him up!!!



Every lamppost in town had an alien at the top - I loved it!
Roswellians (Roswellites?) are nothing if not dedicated to the alien theme.  Every building in town had an alien sitting out front or a decal in the window.  Aliens are to Roswell as adobe is to Santa Fe.  Abundant, that is.

There were multiple souvenir shops along the festival route, and Jen and I stopped in a few...

Although there weren't a lot of quality items to buy (no hat for James and no t-shirt for my dad... Sorry,  guys!), we hit the jackpot at one store. There were aliens hanging out in every nook and cranny, and it had AMPLE photo opps!
He looks pretty excited to see Jen.
Why so angry sir?

"No hablo alienese."
Creepy!!!

The back of the store was set up to look like some sort of twisted 50's soda shop with a bunch of aliens hanging out.

Don't worry, I kicked his butt.

 Apparently this party animal was out all night and needed some caffeine.
 Catching up on my gossip with this leg-crossin' dude.

After we felt we had experienced all the UFO Festival had to offer (which took about 30 minutes), we stopped for a snack at McDonald's on our way out of town.  We were amazed to see an entire space-themed mural painted on the side of the building.
So of course we had to get out and take a few pictures.
I guess we'll never know if aliens really landed in Roswell... but one thing is for sure...
It's a great place to crash. 

No comments: