Friday, October 24, 2008

Florida Part I - Thursday

In the grand tradition of tagging along on Amy's family vacations, I spent last weekend in Ft. Lauderdale with Amy, her brother (John), sister-in-law (Heidi), nephew (Baby Joe), Heidi's brother (Scott), and Scott's wife (Courtney). Got all those people straight? :) I was really excited about the trip since I'd never been to Florida before. Plus, I've spent some time with John & Heidi before, and they're hilarious. So much fun!

We left work a bit early on Thursday, October 16th, and caught a direct flight from Denver to Ft. Lauderdale. But not before hitting up McDonald's for a nutritious dinner of chicken snack wraps and fries.Amy and I were in the second row of the plane, and as we waited for everyone to board, we read our matching books. (It's for book club...)

As the plane filled up, we both looked up from our books at the same moment to find our co-worker, Alex, boarding the plane. We started yelling, "Alex Bush!!! Alex Bush!!!!" until he spotted us. It was so funny seeing him on our flight! Especially when it wasn't a work holiday (we all had to take off Friday as vacation). Such a small world!

We had a great flight. Southwest is the best. Check out all the snacks we got!!! Also take note of my DVD player -- the flight went by pretty quickly because we spent most of it watching Baby Mama.
(I was obviously a bit camera happy.)

We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale around 11:30 (we lost 2 hours with the time change). After taking a quick picture with Alex Bush, we headed for baggage claim to meet Heidi and Joe. They'd taken a flight in from Kansas City with a layover in Chicago. John, on the other hand, had taken a flight out of Kansas City with a stop in Atlanta (i think...). At any rate, we all got to Ft. Lauderdale around the same time.
Here's Amy with Alex:

We picked up our rental minivan and had an interesting time trying to get the car seat in. At this point, we hadn't met up with John yet... so it took 3 girls and 1 baby quite awhile to figure out that stupid car seat.
I love this picture -- I was trying to get a candid, but Joe saw me and immediately smiled for the camera. After we got Joe in his seat, we headed to pick up John at his terminal... but we couldn't figure out how to turn on the lights!! So there we were... driving around the airport... in a minivan without headlights and a car seat that may or may not have been installed correctly.

After we picked up John (and he showed us how to work those lights) we headed for Scott and Courntey's house in Delray Beach.

I thought the night would be over since it was 1am when we finally got to their house. But they had a fire going in the backyard and a cooler full of beer. And I never say no to free beer! After sitting out back for a bit, we all headed inside to get rested up for the next day....

Stay tuned for Day 2!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so should have read Part 1 before I read Part 2. I was pretty sure you were with Amy's family though, because I recognized "Baby Joe," mainly because he's the only baby I've heard you talk about before. This may have been your best blog post ever!! You did a fantastic job on both photos & narration (something I need to work on). On a side note, I think Alex Bush, may become my "Beverly Mitchell" or my "Megan Olive."

P.S. James is still waiting for Megan Olive to accept his friend request on FaceBook.

Lindsay said...

Hahaha, I'd totally forgotten he added Megan Olive as a friend! Maybe I should try adding her, too!