Thursday, December 4, 2008

Making Friends at Football

Amy and I always joke that we don’t have any friends other than each other. Which isn’t entirely true, since Amy really does have other friends. And I have my cat. Even so, we both do a pretty good job of making friends during football season… albeit short lived friends. For example…..

Example #1:

Texas/OU game –
(Yes, the one we in which we BEAT the team that is going to the Big XII Championship on Saturday). Amy and I went to the local Texas bar – the Giggling Grizzly where I proudly wore burnt orange and Amy wore an Iowa tshirt adorned with a UT sticker.We were enjoying a bloody mary and a breakfast taco when a couple of guys asked if they could sit with us. Being the friendly girls we are, we let them sit down and buy us another drink. We were also joined by Amy’s high school friend, Abby. Abby is a traveling nurse, and when Amy and I went to visit Austin last spring, Abby was living there! So Abby could understand the hysteria taking place at the bar during the game.
Example #2:
Texas/Texas Tech game –
Amy and I were minding our own business at our favorite sports bar when we were approached by this character:His name is Scott, and he immediately sat down and brought over a couple of his friends… none of whom actually live in Denver. One’s from Minneapolis, one’s from Vegas, and the other’s from East Colorado. They turned out to be super funny, and we enjoyed talking to them!

Example #3:
Iowa/Minnesota & Oklahoma/Texas Tech game –
While Amy cheered on Iowa and I was selling my soul to the devil and cheering (quietly) for Oklahoma, the most insane brothers I have ever met came to watch with us. (ps... check out my new, dark hair) These two were interesting characters. They had lived in Iowa (where Amy’s from), Kansas (where I spent my childhood years), Austin, and now Denver. Very odd coincidences. Amy and I tried to watch football while answering their bad knock knock jokes and fending off marriage proposals. (I was presented with a ring made out of a napkin. Classy.) These two were definitely the strangest football friends we’ve made all year. I soon realized we could get rid of them if we asked them to buy us a drink. I casually mentioned my beer was gone and I’d like another one. They got a bit nervous and the brother who proposed to me said to the other brother, “Just get her number and let’s get out of here.” Referring to Amy’s number. The other brother said to Amy, “Can I have your phone number?” To which Amy responded, “For what?” And they immediately left. Who’s to say who we might meet at a bowl game?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, it's hard to say "Best Post Ever", because you've had some good ones (especially the one with the giant bag of popcorn). But I have to say this made my morning. You girls are too funny! And I love your dark hair (it makes me feel like I have a new friend) and Amy looks super-hot with her long hair, I don't think I've ever seen it that long before.

Bloody Marys & Breakfast Tacos....man you girls are in a whole different world from me. Remind me to come take a vacation with ya'll SOON!!!!

Anonymous said...

According to my dad, "You meet strange people at bars...I met your mother at a bar." And my mom, "Yeah, I met you [my dad] at a bar."